MUMS Gynaecologist offers face to face and remote consultations to offer hormonal contraception to include pills, patches and rings.
Consultations cost £90.00
There are no extra charges for prescriptions. Repeat prescriptions cost £10.00
For other forms of contraception at MUMS visit this link.
- Combined Hormonal Contraception (CHC): It contains two types of hormones, Oestrogen and Progestogen and works by preventing ovulation. It is available in different forms; the pill, the patch and the ring (as described below).
- Combined Oral Contraception (COC) – A pill is taken daily for 21 days followed by a 7 day break.
- Combined Transdermal Patch (CTP) – This is a patch applied to the skin (like a plaster). One patch every week for 3 weeks and nothing for the fourth week.
- Combined Vaginal Ring (CVR) – This is a small flexible ring that is inserted in the vagina and left there for 3 weeks. After this time it is removed for 7 days and a new ring is inserted on the eighth day.
- Progestogen only Pill (POP) – containing only the Progestogen hormone, a pill is taken every day (with no break). It acts by preventing ovulation, thickening cervical mucus and thinning the lining of the womb.